Dec 7 2017
Olusegun Obasanjo, former President on Thursday condemned the resurgence of slavery in some parts of Africa.
Speaking at the 2017 Annual Conference of the Comptroller General of Immigration in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, the former President said the development was worrisome.
The former President said slave trade in the 21st century should be condemned in the strongest term possible.
Noting that the current development in Africa calledd for sober reflection for African leaders, Obasanjo explained that leaders must feel a sense of regret on what they ought to do.
According to Obasanjo, “I believe that slave trade in the 21st century should be condemned in the strongest language possible and nobody who is involved in it should be excused.
“What can we do and what must we do? We must ensure that conducive atmosphere is created for genuine exchange of goods and ensure development within our country, sub-region, continent and the world which we live.
“But then today, migration has a very nasty connotation particularly when you watch the television and you hear the story of thousands of our youths daring to go through the desert.
“Then after they have embark on such perilous journeys, some of them are sold as slaves. Slaves in the 21st century, Africans being sold by Africans and maybe to Africans.
“All of us as leaders must feel a sense of regret and have sober reflection on what we have done or what we have not done to bring this about to our own people.”
Listen To – I Don’t Care By Simi
Video Of The Week
- Benny Young Africa – Gbona Part 2 ft. Burna Boy
- Video: D’blaze (@itz_dblaze) – Wetin My Eyes Don See
- Ability Joe – Holy Spirit (@joewarship)
- Tangled Mercy – Starring Damola Olatunji, Omowunmi Dada and Eniola Ayo #tangledmercy @eniolaofficial1
- Timi4Mercy Feat Small Doctor – Present Sir (Prod By Glorious)
- Fpack ft Yk x Ueffa x Coalkender x Tenny Eddy – Pay Day (@FpackBeatzofficial)